We need a mass movement to make our elected leaders act sensibly. Here is a list:
- Personally, I'm with James Lovelock on this - we need nuclear power - lots of it and soon.
- We need to tax car fuel very heavily - a pound a litre is nothing, it needs to be at least 5 times that, maybe 10 times.
- Motorways have to be used as efficient mass-transport system. Every motorway should have a dedicated coach lane, and we need transport hubs at junctions near all major cities.
- Planning consent needs to be relaxed for external insulation and solar heating.
- All spare land needs to be used for firewood and vegetables - we need to dig for victory.
- All shops and services need to be made as local as possible - with home delivery being available.
- Plane travel needs to be slashed - heavy taxes and restrictions are the obvious methods.
- Work patterns need to be changed - we need to work less, do more of it remotely and make long distance commuting socially unacceptable.
- Buying new must be discouraged - repairing and renovating encouraged.
As yet I have no grand-children, but the changes I've outlined here might give them a chance of living in a sane, comfortable environment. Ah well, off to replace the drain pump on my washing machine...