Spain has been using Linux widely for a while, the Extremadura project for example. So why are these countries apparently so far ahead of the UK in behaving sensibly and using Free Software? I can think of a few possible reasons...
- Language - the regionalisation of Linux may be one reason - it is easier to customise a Free Software solution for your needs;
- Anti-Americanism - are there countries naturally more suspicious of US products?
- Money - are there more people looking for low cost effective solutions in these countries?
- Common sense - are we just slow on the uptake in the UK?
- Risk aversion - is there something in the UK psyche that makes us more risk averse than others in Europe?