Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I have got to stop driving

Given the nature of the business we are running I have to do a lot of driving. I run a twenty year old Volvo estate, converted to LPG. This costs about 10.5p per mile in fuel - but the conversion cost £1,500. Oh, and I love driving.

BUT

This just can't go on. The world cannot support all of these people driving around the country. Maybe in a few decades we'll have worked out how to do it sensibly, but for now it has to stop.

My ambition is that inside 10 years, preferably 5, I reduce my travelling from the approximately 20,000 miles a year* I've been doing for the last 25 years to 5,000 miles. How will I do this? My thoughts are:
  • longer sessions in each place;
  • more telecommuting;
  • less work in general.
Watch this space!

* this is my guess based on car, train and plane miles.